Wednesday, March 26, 2008

And So I Sit...

here in my history class discussion revolutions. what comes up...South Africa and apartite (not by me) but they all looked at me and so I said my two cents and how it is still affecting life today. We transition to discussing how we have gone somewhere that was different from what we remember. Someone brings up reverse culture shock. This sparks thoughts about how I am more concerned about adjusting back to life in the states and less worried about adjusting to life in SA. I think this comes from the fact that I will have people in SA who are going through or have been through adjusting to life over there and they will be people I can look at to learn from and talk with. And when I get home I will be coming back to a life that has not stopped...to a family who has not experienced the things I have and will not be able to have 'regular' access to people who are going through what I am with such a drastic change back to 'reality'.

With 3 months and 18 days left until I head out to meet my new friends and my new family, I sit here and wonder what will be more difficult....the first night in SA alone or my first night back in the states surrounded by people (will I feel alone)?

1 comment:

Live the Life you Love, Love the Life you Live said...

Good forethought! I don't think once you have stepped out of your own skin for someone else that you can ever step back in and feel the same again. A part of you will always be with SA even when you're back in the states. The question is what will you do about it? Keep that in the back of your mind, and when you're there look for things you can do for them when your back. If after accomplishing those goals, SA still calls to your heart. Follow it!

There are so many ways to help society, some of it requires hands on in your face time, and others require long-term attention to detail and can be done from anywhere in the world!

It will be up to you my dear to listen, learn, and come an understanding with your own self about what needs you can fill to help the SA culture.

I look forward to reading your blog as you grow in this volunteer effort and feel quite privileged and proud to be able to follow your journey.

Safe travels my dear, in both your heart and abroad! Please know that we will be praying for you!

with luv, Mich