Sunday, July 13, 2008

Staging (and stuff)

Hello all,

Well this will be the last post for awhile because in 24 hours I will be heading to the airport to leave for South Africa! First, I want to say thank you very much for all of your gifts, support, and prayers. It was amazing to me to be able to feel the support at the party on Friday.
I LOVE YOU ALL VERY MUCH AND WILL MISS YOU!

As for staging, I arrived in DC around 10am on the 12th and other than tears saying good bye to mom, dad, chuck and Andrea and the tears on the plane as I flew away from my home it has been very exciting. When I was getting ready to check-in in GR this man asked me where I was going because of all of my stuff and the obvious tears, when I told him Peace Corps South Africa he said to me, "you inspire me, that is part of our jobs as humans to inspire each other and you inspire me." this man has no idea what he did for me by saying that....it changed my mind set and attitude from "look what I am leaving" to "look what I am about to do!"

Once we got to the hotel we (Haley another volunteer I met in Cleavland on my layover) went for a walk and got some lunch. Then came back checked into our rooms and headed for the registration portion. Followed by paperwork, paperwork, passport signing, and a little more paperwork we began the trainings. I met all of the other volunteers, there are 44 of us total, and dove right in. The group of people are very diverse in all aspects offering experience from all over the world, and all walks of life. It is sooooooo nice to be around people who have the same anxieties, aspirations, and questions as I do. It truly is a great bunch of people and is soo nice be around others. I truly feel blessed to be apart of this great organization and this amazing bunch of people.

Tomorrow we are off to the clinic to get shots and then head out for Jo'burg. Our flight leaves around 5:30 tomorrow evening. The next point of contact will not be for a few days and will probably be written by someone else.


Love and Thanks,


MaKayla

No comments: